Antibiotic susceptibility of Listeria monocytogenes in Argentina

February 19, 2016 at 12:35 pm

Enf Infecc y Microb Clínica Febrero 2016 V.34 N.02

Mónica Prieto a, Claudia Martínez a, Lorena Aguerre a, María Florencia Rocca a, Lucía Cipolla a, Raquel Callejo a

a Servicio Bacteriología Especial, Departamento Bacteriología, Instituto Nacional de Enfermedades Infecciosas (INEI) – Administración Nacional de Laboratorios e Institutos de Salud (ANLIS) “Dr. Carlos G. Malbrán”, Ciudad Autónoma de Buenos Aires, Argentina

Introduction

Listeria monocytogenes is the causative agent of listeriosis, a food-borne disease that mainly affects pregnant women, the elderly, and immunocompromised patients. The primary treatment of choice of listeriosis is the combination of ampicillin or penicillin G, with an aminoglycoside, classically gentamicin. The second-choice therapy for patients allergic to β-lactams is the combination of trimethoprim with a sulfonamide (such as co-trimoxazole). The aim of this study was to analyze the antimicrobial susceptibility profile of strains isolated from human infections and food during the last two decades in Argentina.

Methods

The minimal inhibitory concentration (MIC) of 8 antimicrobial agents was determined for a set of 250 strains of L. monocytogenes isolated in Argentina during the period 1992–2012. Food-borne and human isolates were included in this study. The antibiotics tested were ampicillin, chloramphenicol, trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, erythromycin, gentamicin, penicillin G, tetracycline and rifampicin. Breakpoints for penicillin G, ampicillin and trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole were those given in the CLSI for L. monocytogenes. CLSI criteria for staphylococci were applied to the other antimicrobial agents tested. Strains were serotyped by PCR, and confirmed by an agglutination method.

Results

Strains recovered from human listeriosis patients showed a prevalence of serotype 4b (71%), with the remaining 29% corresponding to serotype 1/2b. Serotypes among food isolates were distributed as 62% serotype 1/2b and 38% serotype 4b. All antimicrobial agents showed good activity.

Conclusion

The strains of L. monocytogenes isolated in Argentina over a period of 20 years remain susceptible to antimicrobial agents, and that susceptibility pattern has not changed during this period.

PDF

http://apps.elsevier.es/watermark/ctl_servlet?_f=10&pident_articulo=90448430&pident_usuario=0&pcontactid=&pident_revista=28&ty=32&accion=L&origen=zonadelectura&web=www.elsevier.es&lan=en&fichero=28v34n02a90448430pdf001.pdf

 

Entry filed under: Antimicrobianos, Bacterias, Bacteriemias, Epidemiología, Infecciones y Alimentos, Metodos diagnosticos, Resistencia bacteriana, Sepsis, Update. Tags: .

Evidence for Community Transmission of Community-Associated but Not Health-Care-Associated Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus Strains Linked to Social and Material Deprivation: Spatial Analysis of Cross-sectional Data. Update: Interim Guidelines for Health Care Providers Caring for Infants and Children with Possible Zika Virus Infection  US, February 2016


Calendar

February 2016
M T W T F S S
« Jan   Mar »
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
29  

Most Recent Posts


%d bloggers like this: